Monday, February 12, 2007

The Power of Negative Thinking

A lot has happened since my last post. I did not manage to make the 275 bicycle miles in January; only 137. As explanation and not as an excuse, I got de-motivated. It happens to me sometimes and it leads to a lazy, unproductive spell.

I’m not sure how it happens, but it usually goes along these lines. I over extend myself, make too many promises, too many commitments and try to do too much at one time. Then something goes undone, a slip up, an unfortunate series of event and BOOM; one negative thought happens. Then another…and another until, like dominos, it all comes crashing down. A little negativity will hang you up, because there is no such thing as a little. Once you start down the hill it’s hard to turn and before you know it you are at the bottom.

That is where I’ve been since the middle of January. I’m not sure how it happened but I’ve definitely eaten way too much and exercised way too little. I awoke this morning at 192 lbs.

I am drawing a line in the sand. I’m tired of this negativity spiral that I get into sometimes. Enough is enough. I’m tired of fitness being a chore, also. If this is going to be sustainable, it must be enjoyable.

SO HERES THE NEW PLAN: I know what I should eat. I know I should lift weights and I know I should do cardio. This is what I am going to do. I am going to make good food choices. I am going to lift weights four times per week and I am going to do cardio at least four times per week. Above all I’m going to have fun. If I slip, it’s not the end of the world and tomorrow is another day.

I know my caloric intake needs to be between 1500-1700 calories per day. Without having to count each calorie, I am going to target Breakfast at 300 cal, Lunch at 300 cal and Dinner at 500 cal. I will add a 200 cal Mid-morning Snack, a 200 cal Afternoon Snack and 100 cal Late Snack. I don’t have to be precise, but in the ball park. This will take the number crunching out of it and keep it fun.

We have a Sunday school retreat coming up April 19-22. That’s ten weeks away and I want to be at 175 lbs. Doing the math, that’s 1.7 lbs/week so it is attainable. I’m writing it down and carrying it in my wallet. I will be updating every day or at least every few along the way. If you see me slacking off, e-mail me at ben@puppetminister.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home